Graduate Admission Application Timeline
Once you submit all required admission documents (transcripts, etc.) to the Division of Graduate Studies, we determine if you meet the minimum university requirements for admission.
If minimum university admission requirements are met, we will forward our review to the Graduate Program. Graduate Program admission committees select the best qualified applicants. This process may take considerable time. The Graduate Program will review all application materials submitted directly to the Graduate Coordinator of your intended program and the department or program admission committees will notify the SF State Graduate Admissions office of their admission recommendations.
Applicants are then formally notified of their admission status by the Division of Graduate Studies. Letters of admission from the department or program received prior to the official SF State Admission Notification Letter are not valid.
General Timeline: Based on average turnaround time and the completing application by deadline.
- Application period opens. Start of Spring applications is August 1. Start of Fall applications is October 1.
- Applicants submit their online application and supporting documents by deadline.
- Once an applicant completes their application, Graduate Admissions evaluates eligibility. This can take on average two weeks.
- For eligible applicants, Graduate Admissions sends our evaluation to the academic department for a final admissions determination. This can take between four to six weeks.
- Academic departments notify Graduate Admissions of admission recommendations. Graduate Admissions will send a formal notice. This can take two to five days.
- Applicant will receive formal admission decision by mail and online. The letter should reach the applicant within three to five days.
- Admitted students must go online to accept the admissions offer.
- Newly admitted students will be able to register for classes during the enrollment period.