Steps to Graduation
1. Submit all paperwork in accordance with deadlines.
Student deadlines link: http://grad.sfsu.edu/content/student-deadlines
2. Submit an Advancement to Candidacy (ATC) form.
The ATC is a permanent record of your completed and planned course work as well as other requirements necessary for you to complete your degree.
3. Submit a Culminating Experience Proposal.
Graduate students must complete a culminating experience which may include thesis, special project and/or comprehensive examination prior to graduation. A Culminating Experience Proposal must be approved by Graduate Studies before enrolling in the culminating experience course.
4. Culminating Experience Continuous Enrollment Policy:
The Culminating Experience Continuous Enrollment Policy applies to all students admitted or re-admitted for Fall 2008 or later. Once you enroll in your Culminating Experience course, you are required to maintain continuous enrollment through the College of Extended Learning (CEL) if you do not complete your project and earn your degree within two semesters (the semester of enrollment and one "grace semester"). If you do not maintain continuous enrollment, and wish to return to complete the degree, you will need to retroactively enroll in the CEL course for each semester following the grace semester, and pay all applicable fees.
5. Review Thesis / Dissertation / Written Creative Work Guidelines.
To graduate in the semester you finish your Culminating Experience you must come in to the Division of Graduate Studies for a format check to obtain a Thesis/Dissertation/Written Creative Work receipt.
6. Apply for Award of Graduate Degree
To earn your degree you must apply online; the evaluator will verify degree completion. Your application allows you to participate in annual commencement ceremony.
7. Submit proof of completion of your Culminating Experience Project.
8. TOP FIVE REASONS FOR DENIAL OF GRADUATION.
Please review the reasons listed to avoid any delay in your graduation avaluation.