Graduate Studies Advising
How can an SF State Graduate Advisor assist you?
The Division of Graduate Studies offers counseling and advising regarding issues ranging from admission to graduation. Whether you are a current, prospective masters, doctoral or credential student, we are here to assist you.
- Program exploration: Selecting a graduate program, Grade Point Average (GPA) calculations
- Graduate school application support: Admissions policies, domestic application procedures, re-applying to the university, University policies and procedures
- Career exploration: Career exploration, resumes, cover letters, post-graduate applications and essays
- Continuing Student Issues: Program withdrawal/transfer, policies and procedures
- Probation Guidance & Support: Academic planning and GPA analysis, personal and academic stress
Students who received their undergraduate diploma from outside the United States may contact International Admissions at: INTLGRAD@sfsu.edu
* If you have quick questions that do not require an advising session, please contact Grad Stop at 415-338-2234 or email@example.com.
SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT
To schedule a one-on-one advising appointment, please review the services above and call (415) 338-7155 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the following information when requesting an advising session:
- First and Last name
- SF State ID # (if applicable)
- Phone number and email address
- Reason for your appointment
- 3 dates/times you're available to meet with an advisor. Please refer to the below schedule of availability for advising appointments.
- Please also indicate if you've been working with an advisor in our office previously so that you can be paired with the same advisor.
Our office will respond to your request for an advising session within 24 business hours. Drop-in advising may be available during the hours posted below but is not guaranteed. For probation advising and/or GPA analysis, please bring copies of transcripts from all colleges/universities attended to your advising session so that we may assist you.
Fall 2017 Advising Schedule
- Monday: 12:30pm - 5:00pm
- Tuesday: 9:00am - 4:00pm
- Wednesday: 9:00am - 3:30pm
- Thursday: 9:00am - 4:00pm
** There will be no advising available during SFSU academic holidays.
Tools and Resources
- The GradGuide Succinct policies and procedures on how to move from admission to graduation
- Bulletin To review program options
- Graduate Coordinators Faculty member in your department responsible for graduate programs
- Application Deadlines
- FAQs - Information on Residency
- Class Schedule
- Class Registration Deadlines
- Financing Your Education
- Financial Aid Office
- GPA Calculators
- Academic Probation Instructions
- Student Health Services
- Student concerns and complaints
- Graduate Students Association