Newly Admitted Students - Getting Started

Official Transcript Requirement

If selected for admission, you are required to submit official transcripts from each college or university attended to the Division of Graduate Studies in order to secure your admission offer.

Please send official, sealed transcripts to:

Division of Graduate Studies
1600 Holloway Avenue
Administration 250
San Francisco, CA 94132

We accept electronic transcripts from regionally accredited U.S. colleges and universities sent through third-party delivery services such as eSCRIP-SAFE, Docufied , and Parchment. We also accept electronic transcripts sent directly to us from your university. All electronic transcripts must be sent directly from the institution to: 

Image button to direct to the New Student Guide


Admission Categories

  • Graduate Conditionally Classified: Most students who are admitted to the University are admitted to conditionally classified standing. Departments admit students in this category to evaluate progress toward degree completion. Students admitted in this category will be moved to classified status after submission and approval of the Advancement to Candidacy Form (ATC).
  • Graduate Classified: Students advance to this status after submitting an approved Advancement to Candidacy Form (ATC). Very few students are admitted directly to this category.
  • Post-baccalaureate Classified: Students admitted to a credential program will be admitted as post-baccalaureate classified. Admission in this status does not constitute admission to, or assurance of consideration for admission to, any graduate degree program. Contact the Credential and Graduate Services Center for further information on credential programs. Students seeking admission for administrative or special education credentials should contact the departments directly.
  • Post-baccalaureate Unclassified: Students who have earned an undergraduate degree and are admitted to a graduate or undergraduate certificate program are admitted to this category. Certificate students should contact the department offering the certificate program for information about the application expectations.
  • Contingent Admittance: If you were admitted before your undergraduate degree was earned, you must forward your final transcript with degree posted by the fourth week of instruction the semester you're admitted. If you do not submit proof of your degree, you will be declassified and you will have to reapply for admission as a graduate student.
  • Non-Resident Students: review your residency status on your admission letter. If you are a domestic non-resident, you must comply with all regulations required to become a California Resident. Visit our Residency Information page for more details.
  • International Students: The Office of International Programs provides services to students currently studying on a F1 or J1 visa.  You must check in with the Office of International Programs during new student orientation events the week before the first day of instruction. 

Links To SFSU Campus Services