Minimum Graduate Admission & Readmission Requirements
Minimum requirements for admission to graduate study in the California State University are in accordance with Title 5, Division 5, Chapter 1, Subchapter 3, of the California Code of Regulations. The University has the right to require higher standards than the minimum requirements published in Title 5.
To meet the minimum eligibility standards for graduate study at SF State, an applicant must:
- hold a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution, or shall have completed equivalent academic preparation as determined by the appropriate campus authority;
- be in good academic standing at the last college or university attended;
- have a 3.0 GPA in their earned undergraduate degree or in the last 60 semester (90 quarter) units completed, or have earned a post-baccalaureate degree; and
- Meet additional departmental requirements.
If a student meets the minimum requirements for graduate and post-baccalaureate studies, he/she will be considered for admission in one of the following categories:
- Graduate Classified: Admitted without contingencies. Must meet program and University requirements.
- Graduate Conditionally Classified: Student must remediate or complete all deficiencies identified prior to admission. Must apply for classified status. If admitted, must meet all program and University requirements.
- Contingent Admittance: If you were admitted before your undergraduate degree was earned, you must forward your final transcript with degree posted by the fourth week of instruction the semester you're admitted. If you do not submit proof of your degree, you will be declassified and you will have to reapply for admission as a graduate student.
No units taken as a Second Bachelor's Student can be utilized as part of a Master's Program.
Returning SF State graduate students must reapply for admission to the university and the academic department if:
- You have been absent for two consecutive (spring/fall) semesters as a matriculated student;
- You have attended another college in any interval of absence.
Applications for readmission and all supporting materials must be filed in the Division of Graduate Studies by the academic department’s application deadline for the current semester. Exceptions to an academic department application deadline will not be granted beyond the first day of instruction for the semester to which you apply.
To be eligible for readmission, graduate students must:
- Have earned a minimum GPA of 3.0 in all coursework attempted at SF State in graduate status;
- If applicable, earned a minimum GPA of 3.0 in all coursework attempted at other colleges during your absence;
- Be in “good” academic standing at SF State;
- Have been making continuous progress toward degree before leaving your SF State program.
Students wishing to re-enter with a GPA lower than 3.0 must improve their GPA by taking courses through CEL Open University before reapplying.
Readmission to a graduate program is not guaranteed. Reapplications are reviewed with all other applicants during that application period.