Preliminary Format Check
- Students can email a PDF of the Thesis/ Dissertation/ Written Creative Work to Graduate Studies for a preliminary format check.
- [If revisions are required] Graduate Studies will return the thesis by email, along with comments on required changes. Students must make the required changes and email the final accessible PDF to Graduate Studies.
- [If approved] Graduate Studies will notify students by email with final instructions.
Final Format Check
- Student must title the Thesis/ Dissertation/ Written Creative Work as: Full Name_ Student ID_Dept_Thesis/Dissert_WCW
- Students must email completed accessible PDF, with all signed pages* to Graduate Studies.
- Students must copy their Committee Chair when emailing the final draft. Graduate Studies will then forward the final Thesis/ Dissertation/ Written Creative Work to the Digital Scholarship Center.
Thesis/ Dissertation/ Written Creative Work Processing Fee will be made online via the Student Center by the deadline stated. Post-Baccalaureate students can now pay the processing fee in their Student Center. ALSO NOTE: Post-Baccalaureate students are now be able to easily access applicable fees under one convenient category listed as Graduate Division.
- IMPORTANT: Students must forward the electronic Thesis Receipt/Proof of Payment to their Graduate Program Specialist upon completing payment.
- IMPORTANT: Must select one embargo option upon advisement from thesis chair.
*To Obtain Signatures on Certification of Approval & Abstract Pages:
Certification of Approval & Abstract pages require signatures from your faculty committee members.
Graduate Studies will accept: Wet scanned signatures, DocuSign, or other electronic signatures such as Adobe) if faculty need additional assistance, they may reach out to a Graduate Program Specialist.
All steps must be completed by the Graduation Deadline to meet Thesis/ Dissertation/ Written Creative Work requirements.
COVID-19 Special Considerations: If you encounter any issues in obtaining faculty signatures during this time, please contact us for alternatives.
How do I pay the Thesis/ Dissertation/ Written Creative Work Processing Fee?
A: Post-Baccalaureate students can now pay the processing fee in their Student Center. Post-Baccalaureate students will now be able to easily access applicable fees under one convenient category listed as Graduate Division.
Here you will find options such as: Certificate fees, Diploma reissues, Thesis/Dissertation/Written Creative Works Processing fees, and Graduation Application fees. Payments may be made online by electronic check (NO fee) or credit card (MasterCard, VISA, American Express and Discover) through SF State Gateway. Credit cards are accepted with a 2.75% un-refundable service fee retained by our third-party credit card service provider. A non-refundable service fee of 2.75% for each credit/debit card transaction will be added to the total payment amount. Service fees are retained by the vendor. The cardholder, will see two transactions on their statement, one for the university payment transaction and one for the service fee. A reminder, the service fee is nonrefundable.
To Make a Payment:
I already completed a preliminary format check and received a Thesis/ Dissertation/ Written Creative Work Receipt. Will Graduate Studies accept this form signed by my faculty member?
A: Yes. Scan the signed form (wet signature or e-signed) and email to your Graduate Program Specialist along with your accessible PDF Thesis/ Dissertation/ Written Creative Work. Graduate Studies will send your document to the Digital Scholarship Center for filing.