Required Academic Documents

Required Academic Documents Submission

The Division of Graduate Studies at San Francisco State University requires all applicants to submit official academic documents from all higher education institutions ever attended. An official academic document is a verification of your academic record issued directly from the university. Your academic record (transcript) and degree certificate must arrive in our office in a sealed/unopened envelope with a university stamp or signature on the envelope flap. Please note: we do not consider transcripts that have been notarized to be official. To be considered official, the transcripts must be university issued.

"Original" and "official" documents are not the same. An "official" document is a document that has been issued by, authenticated by or attested to be a true copy of the original by the awarding university (sealed in unopened university envelope). If your school issued only one original transcript, graduation certificate and Bachelor's degree certificate, you should send photocopies of your original academic documents to your university and ask that they attest or verify the copies to be true copies of the original. Ask your university to place these attested copies in a sealed envelope with a school stamp across the envelope flap. We will only consider academic documents to be official that have been attested by the University that awarded your degree.

Full Academic Disclosure

All graduate and post-baccalaureate applicants must furnish the Division of Graduate Studies with one official transcript from each college or university attended, including community college and study abroad coursework. Separate transcripts from each college or university are required even though one transcript may show work taken at another institution. Transcripts are not required for coursework completed at SF State. Students must check the academic department/program information to determine if official transcripts must also be sent directly to the department. Official transcripts must be submitted in envelopes sealed by the issuing college or university.

Accurate and Authentic Application Documents

Applicants must supply complete and accurate information on all application materials for admission, residence questionnaire, and financial aid forms. Failure to file complete, accurate, and authentic application documents may result in denial of admission, cancellation of academic credit, suspension, or expulsion (Section 41301, Article 1.1, Title 5, California Code of Regulations). Admissions personnel have the right to verify all documents and statements made in documents submitted by students as part of the application process.

English Translations

If your former institution does not issue transcripts in English, we will require an English translation to be submitted along with your official academic record. You may need to plan ahead and request duplicate sealed documents from your university, one official academic record for the translator and one official academic record for the Division of Graduate Studies. We accept English translations from the issuing university, an Embassy or Consulate or a certified translator. English translations should be literal word for word translations and mirror the original document.

We will accept unofficial academic records uploaded to Cal State Apply in order to make an admission decision. All admitted applicants must submit a final official academic record to the Division of Graduate Studies upon matriculation.

Transcripts which have been submitted for admission or evaluation become the property of the University and are not returned or copied for distribution.

International Credential Evaluation

International applicants can submit a Course-by-Course credential evaluation report to our office in lieu of country specific academic documents. Applicants may upload a credential evaluation report from one of our approved organizations in the “unofficial transcripts” section of the Documents in CAL STATE APPLY. Post-admission, the student will be required to request the organization send us an official copy of the credential evaluation report to San Francisco State University.

International Credential Evaluation Organizations approved by the Division of Graduate Studies

World Education Services (WES) -
Students should request/submit the WES ICAP report

Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE) -
Students should request/submit course-by-course report

Foundation for International Services, Inc. -
Students should request/submit course-by-course report

International Education Research Foundation -
Students should request/submit a Detail Report (also known as course-by-course report)