Second Baccalaureate admission is restricted to select degree programs by the CSU Chancellor’s office. Applicants seeking admission to other second bachelor’s degree programs must obtain written support for admission from the Academic Department Chair of the intended program of study. Contact the Division of Graduate Studies for procedures and forms to be considered for admission.
The following requirements must be met by those seeking a second bachelor's degree. Students are required to:
- Obtain approval from the Department Chair and the Division of Graduate Studies
- Have completed a four-year college course of study and hold an acceptable degree from an institution accredited by a regional accrediting association or have completed equivalent academic preparation as determined by appropriate campus authorities
- Have a grade point average of 2.0 or better in the last 60 semester units (or 90 quarter units) attempted, or a 2.0 GPA on units included in your bachelor’s degree
- Be in good standing at the last college or university attended
How to Apply: Second Bachelor’s Degree Application Instructions
To apply for admission as a second bachelor’s degree-seeking student for the above mentioned programs, complete the following items:
- Submit a Petition for Graduate Admission Exception (PGA) requires departmental support. Please contact your department to request an appointment with a graduate coordinator or department chair for assistance in completing this petition. Incomplete petitions will be returned to the student until all supporting documentation can be provided.
- Submit an application online at Cal State Apply, pay the $70 nonrefundable fee and submit supporting documents. Prepare application materials in advance before starting the online Cal State Apply application. Application materials vary by program, and may require you to upload
- In addition to any documents required by your program, you are also required to upload legible unofficial copies of transcripts from each college or university attended. Including study abroad coursework, or community college coursework, even if this coursework appears as transfer credit on your degree transcript. Full academic disclosure is required.
An incomplete academic history will significantly delay review of your application. The Division of Graduate Studies may request official transcripts from you at any point during the application review process. If selected for admission, you will be required to submit official transcripts to the Division of Graduate Studies in order to secure your admission.
- Students who have previously earned a baccalaureate or higher degree from an institution accredited by a regional accrediting association will not have to complete any GE or additional graduation requirements. These students will only be held to completing courses specifically required for the secondary major.
- Complete at least 30 units in residence at SF State, including 24 units of upper division coursework in residence and at least 12 units of upper division coursework in residence in the major. Completion of the major may require more than 12 units.
- Every student in a second baccalaureate program must complete a minimum common core of coursework (i.e., required of all students). See specific program requirements in the bulletin. http://bulletin.sfsu.edu/.
- Complete the upper division writing proficiency requirement. Note: Second bachelor’s students in the Nursing major do not need to complete the upper division writing proficiency requirement.
- Complete all units required in the major. Coursework taken to meet the second bachelor’s degree may not apply toward a master’s degree.
- Maintain a minimum GPA of 3.0 in the major and 3.0 in all units attempted at SF State.
- To transfer units towards a Second Bachelors, please submit a Request for Transfer Unit Evaluation. The “Request for Transfer Unit Evaluation” must first be approved by your graduate advisor and graduate coordinator. After obtaining their signatures, submit it to the Division of Graduate Studies with official transcripts attached. If official transcripts are already on file with the University, you may attach unofficial copies (copied front and back).
Apply for Graduation:
- Click on the [SF State Gateway] button below to begin your Application for Award of Degree.
- Login to SF State Gateway and then choose the [Academics] tab. Here you can login to your Student Center by clicking the button ‘Student Center.’
- Once you are in your Student Center, in the dropdown menu under Academics, select ‘Apply for Graduation.’
- Follow instructions to Apply for Graduation and press ‘Submit Application’ when complete.
- The application for award of degree fee will appear on your record as an outstanding financial obligation. It is your responsibility to pay the application fee by the semester deadline. Failure to do so will result on a $5 late fee.
- Submit a completed 2nd Baccalaureate Degree Program Graduation Application to the Registrar's Office.