To graduate in the semester you finish your Thesis / Dissertation / Written Creative Work / Music Composition you must complete all of the following steps by the "Format Check Deadline". Be sure to give yourself enough time to finalize all corrections and obtain the required signatures.
Go To: Thesis / Dissertation Page
Go To: Written Creative Work Page
Thesis format check hours:
Monday: 12 p.m.- 4 p.m.
Tuesday: 12 p.m. - 4 p.m.
Wednesday: 9 a.m. - 1 p.m.
Thursday: 9 a.m. - 1 p.m.
Friday: 9 a.m. - 1 p.m.
First Format Check: Thesis/Dissertation/Written Creative Work
- Review preliminary deadline date to complete your first format check.
- Use Thesis/Dissertation/Written Creative Work/Music Composition writable template * : http://grad.sfsu.edu/content/thesis-dissertation-word-template.
- Use the Thesis/Dissertation/Written Creative Work/Music Composition Formatting Checklist
- Print and bring preliminary pages (title page, copyright page, certification of approval page, abstract or annotation page, acknowledgment page, table of contents page, or list of tables, figures or appendices) and first ten pages of work and any pages with charts, graphs, tables and special fonts or font sizes to Graduate Studies in ADM 254 for first format check.
- Obtain your Thesis Receipt if your evaluator determines you are ready for a Final Format Check. Obtain your committee chair signature on the form. Bring the form back with you to Graduate Studies for the Final Format Check in ADM 254.
* If you follow the Thesis/Dissertation/Written Creative Work/Music Composition Checklist, you may only need one preliminary format check and your final format check to receive your receipt.
Second Format Check (IF NECESSARY):
- Make all corrections suggested by your evaluator listed on your Preliminary Revision Form for your Thesis/Dissertation/Written Creative Work/Music Composition.
- Reprint the Preliminary Pages that you have corrected and/or reformatted.
- Return to Graduate Studies to obtain your Thesis Receipt if your evaluator determines you are ready for a Final Format check. Obtain your committee chair signature. Bring the Thesis Receipt back with you to Graduate Studies for the Final Format Check in ADM 254.
For the Final Format Check, you must:
- Print entire final draft Thesis/Dissertation/Written Creative Work/Music Composition on good quality white paper (laser print or copy paper).
- Obtain necessary signatures from committee members. Your Thesis/Dissertation/Written Creative Work/Music Composition receipt will not be approved by Graduate Studies without all original signatures for your signature pages**.
- Bring your Thesis Receipt, with the completed Public Access/Embargo section completed and signed by your committee chair.
- Bring your unbound Thesis/Dissertation/Written Creative Work to ADM 254 for your final format check once you have all signatures to have your Thesis/Dissertation/Written Creative Work/Music Composition receipt signed by a Graduate Studies evaluator.
NOTE: Once a Thesis/Dissertation/Written Creative Work/Music Composition is approved by the supervising committee and the receipt is signed by the Division of Graduate Studies for submission to the Digital Scholarship Center, no further changes will be allowed.
** If your committee has changed, please submit a Committee Revision form
After Graduate Studies has signed the Thesis/Dissertation/Written Creative Work/Music Composition Receipt, you must:
- Pay the processing fee at the Bursar’s Office (located directly below Graduate Studies on the first floor of the Administration building or in the Student Services Building, You can find office hours through this link: http://bursar.sfsu.edu/). Be sure to keep your receipt as proof of payment!
- Take your unbound Thesis/Dissertation/Written Creative Work/Music Composition, Thesis Receipt, and proof of payment to the Digital Scholarship Center (located in Library Room 80, open 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.).
- Maintain your copy of the Thesis Receipt until you receive confirmation from the university that you have earned your degree.
*If you would like additional thesis copies or your department requires a bound copy you will need to take your thesis (either printed or on a flash drive) to the Campus Copy Center for printing and binding services in Cesar Chavez, Room 110.